Tuesday, January 29, 2013

My Boo




I cannot get this song out of my head!  I'm not talking about the theme song to Nick Jr.'s Team Umizoomi (though that one's in my head too, thanks to my big boy).  I'm talking about the song "My Boo" by Alicia Keys and Usher.  I've always liked the song, but recently it got me to thinking...

I'm always excited when one of my single girlfriends has a new boo.  I'm interested in hearing all about how they met, how he makes her feel, and if she thinks he has the potential to become more serious.  I suppose it's because I can relate.  I remember how it felt when I first started dating Johnny.  I was giddy too.  All day every day.

Now, almost nine years into our relationship, and almost six years into our marriage, I gotta say I'm not quite so giddy.  Not all the time.  And you know why.  Over time, reality sets in.  Things aren't so new and shiny anymore, what was once cute (hair in the sink, socks left behind, smelly farts) now irks the you-know-what out of you, you're paying bills, taking care of kids, killing yourself at work, and the list goes on.  The monotony of life can get the best of you. 

Don't get me wrong, I do have giddy moments - like when Johnny brings home a sweet card, or when we have a date night planned.  But I'd like to get to a place where it feels like it felt back in '04.  All giddy, all the time...or at least a lot more  of the time.  And I want to do what I can to make sure my hubby still feels it too (like how I used to cry early in our long-distance relationship when he had to return home after a weekend together).

I (and everyone out there who's lost their giddy) would appreciate your comments and suggestions on this one.  I'd especially like to hear the perspective of some of you single folks.  How do we get our giddy back?

No comments:

Post a Comment